How to Make Maple Brittle
- 3 cups maple sugar
- 2 level teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 1 cup molasses
- a pinch of cream of tartar
- 1 cup chopped Brazil nuts
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Heat the cream of tartar, cup of water, maple sugar, and maple syrup until the mixture reaches 300°. Add butter and cook for 4 additional minutes. Remove from heat.
- Dissolve soda in the tablespoon of boiling water. Add it and the lemon extract to the mixture in the saucepan. Stir.
- When he mixture begins to foam, pour onto a greased cookie sheet. Spread out thin. Sprinkle the Brazil nuts on top.
- Top candy with melted chocolate (optional).