How to Make Barley Sugar
- 3 1/3 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- a pinch of cream of tartar
- 1 lemon
- Juice the lemon. Peel the rind off the lemon and set aside.
- Heat the sugar and water in a saucepan until the sugar is dissolved. Place the lemon rind and cream of tartar in the saucepan. Continue heating until it reaches 240°. Remove the lemon rind. Add lemon juice and heat mixture to 310°. Do not overcook the syrup. It should be a very light brownish color (almost the color of hay, for example).
- Pour mixture onto a greased surface. Let cool enough that it begins to set. Cut into strips. Let candy cool until it can be handled comfortably, then twist each strip into a braid.
- Put candy in an airtight container.